Redbourn Mill lies 2 miles north of St. Albans (in Hertfordshire, 20 miles north of London) on the old Roman road, Watling Street, in the hamlet of Redbournbury. Built beside the River Ver (which gave St. Albans its Roman name, Verulamium), a tributary of the River Colne which itself flows into the Thames. Although only a stone's throw from the main road it remains an unspoilt area, little changed for hundreds of years. The farmhouse and surrounding buildings at the end of the lane date back to the fifteenth century which, together with the mill, create an area of historical interest. The "Ver Valley Walk", public footpath from the river's source to its confluence with the Colne, and "Views of the Ver Valley Walk", a circular walk around Redbournbury, run past the mill.
Last used for milling in the 1950's, the mill is at the end of a massive rebuilding and restoration project, which took over ten years to complete. It is now established as a museum and as the only working mill on the River Ver.